‘The greatest threat to our planet is belief that someone else will save it’- Robert Swan
Here in St. Patricks Boys National School we are very proud to be a Green School. This means that we are committed to looking after and being a friend of the environment. We do this successfully thanks to our Green Schools Committee. The committee consists of 2 teachers Ms. O Neill and Ms. Galvin, our Principal Mr. Horan, and student representatives from 1st – 6th class. Of course every member of the school community makes the committee a success through their co-operation, hard work and enthusiasm.
As a Green School we are proud to have obtained our 6th Green School Flag and we continue to work on all our green school initiatives.
We are currently working on our 7th Green School Flag, Global Citizenship: Energy.
It means that as a school community we are committed to reducing our energy consumption and our carbon footprint.
We would encourage all members of the community to take part, here are our tips!
- Close windows and doors to reduce energy consumption.
- Leave the car at home! Walk, bike or scoot to school!
- Our Bin Detectives make sure that we are recycling everything we can.
- We use reusable, recyclable containers for lunch.
- Turn off the lights on bright days or when leaving the room.
- Our Green Committee meet regularly to come up with new ways to reduce energy.
We are really excited about the coming year and can’t wait to take on all these new, interesting challenges that we will encounter on our path to our next green flag! Make sure to check out our Green Zone on your next visit to the school!
The Green Schools committee.